Josh Marshall shines a light on another example of how DJT is breaking all the norms and using the position with which we have entrusted him to enrich himself and his family (emphasis mine, more details at the link).
This is really quite astounding. In this morning’s edition of Mike Allen’s not-Playbook from Axios he introduces what seems to be Ivanka Trump setting up something that sounds a lot like the Clinton Foundation, only in this case run from within the White House by a top presidential aide who is also the President’s daughter, who also runs her own large international company and who also has two brothers who are currently running the President/Father’s company and trying to rake in as much money as possible on the fame and power of the presidency. Also, let’s be honest, the Trumps are a notoriously corrupt family, especially when it comes to running foundations.
No less astounding is that Allen never mentions that there’s anything problematic about this or that it doesn’t mimic in a wildly more corrupt way what President Trump nominally ran most of the 2016 campaign against.
What’s worth asking is this: Is this even envisioned as a foundation and non-profit? Or is Ivanka setting up something like a venture capital or private equity fund? i.e., one designed to make a profit?
As is the case on many other fronts, Trump and his family ran the 2016 campaign not so much against Hillary Clinton but a looking glass Hillary Clinton which was actually what they aspired to be and do if they won.
More readings on this and related subjects:
- The Daily 202: What does Trump have to hide? Secretive White House unapologetic about clawing back transparency – The Washington Post
- Trump Barely Even Pretending Any More Not to Be a Kleptocrat
- Trump Tops Obama, Bush and Clinton in Golfing and Private Getaways So Far – The New York Times
- Trump has spent one out of every five minutes of his presidency in Palm Beach – The Washington Post
- Trump Will Provoke a Crisis or Be Humiliated This Week | New Republic