— Matthew Yglesias (@mattyglesias) January 28, 2017
Friday’s cruel and counterproductive “Muslim ban” Executive Order punishes all the wrong people, brings additional suffering to people trying to save their families from terror, helps ISIS recruit, tarnishes America’s reputation in the world, recapitulates our shameful refusal of Jews trying to escape Hitler’s butchery. The authors (Steve Bannon and young Stephen Miller, apparently) didn’t check with anyone – in fact, they purposely excluded people who should have been consulted.
There’s so much wrong with this you just don’t know where to begin.
- Just a few of the innocents being hurt by this monstrous act
- Trump’s Immigration Ban: Meet Some of the Stranded Muslims – NBC News
- Matthew Yglesias on Twitter: “Trump has always betrayed those to whom he owes debts, and in Trump’s America so will we all https://t.co/QTnpWVXUoS https://t.co/MLzGX6mnZb”
- Students and scholars are stranded after Trump bars travel for nationals from 7 countries
- International Students Stranded By Trump Order : NPR Ed : NPR
- Phillip Carter on Twitter: “”Among #veterans, raw responses to Trump’s effort to block refugees and others from Muslim countries” https://t.co/LvnhYvrqSF https://t.co/apQbA2ejQ5″
- Good for Sally Yates, the acting AG, who demonstrated moral courage in standing up for the law, and for what is right
- Washington Post on Twitter: “Meet Sally Yates, the acting attorney general fired by Trump and accused of “betraying” the Justice Department https://t.co/QRxyvICFr2″
- Who is Sally Yates? Meet the acting attorney general Trump fired for ‘betraying’ the Justice Department. – The Washington Post
- Washington Monthly | What You Should Know About the Public Servant Trump Just Fired, Sally Yates
- Donald Trump firing Sally Yates isn’t the big story. How he did it is. – The Washington Post
- The Daily 202: Trump sacking acting A.G. raises new questions about his respect for the rule of law – The Washington Post
- Lies used to justify the ban
- The ban is just one of many indications of things that may be coming
- How Donald Trump Could Build an Autocracy in the U.S. – The Atlantic
- Trump’s refugee ban could get much, much worse. That’s why it must be stopped — now. – The Washington Post
- Eliot A. Cohen Responds to Donald Trump’s First Week – The Atlantic
- In Venezuela, we couldn’t stop Chávez. Don’t make the same mistakes we did. – The Washington Post
- Trial Balloon for a Coup? – Medium
- The Immigration Ban is a Headfake, and We’re Falling For It – Medium
- Who is Steve Bannon? And why is he now a “Principal” member of the NSC, effectively displacing others with experience and perspective to be invaluable (DCI and chair of Joint Chiefs)?