- JOHN DICKERSON: So tell me what in the bill you’ve been negotiating to get–
- PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: But let me–
- JOHN DICKERSON: –in that helps your supporters. I’m just trying to get the details of how your people–
- PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Let me just tell you.
- JOHN DICKERSON: –will be helped.
- PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I just watched another network than yours, and they were saying, “Pre-existing is not covered.” Pre-existing conditions are in the bill. And I mandate it. I said, “Has to be.”
…but pre-existing conditions are explicitly NOT covered in the latest version of the GOP Health Care bill. It was the allowing of waivers, so states can opt to let insurers charge more to people with pre-existing conditions that got the GOP Freedom Caucus to support the latest version of the bill. Does the president not understand this?
And that’s just one example.
He appears not to understand what is in the bill, and appears not to care that he doesn’t understand. He’s pushing for its passage anyway, and promising heaven if it passes.
What are we to make of a president who is unconcerned at the gaping chasm between the words that come from his mouth and anything happening in the actual world that we all inhabit?
More reading on the GOP’s health care mischief-making:
- Washington Monthly | Quick Takes: Trump Doesn’t Know What’s In the GOP Healthcare Bill
- An interview suggests Trump doesn’t know what’s in his health bill – Vox
- Pushing for Vote on Health Care Bill, Trump Seems Unclear on Its Details – The New York Times
- We’re Back To GOP Derp Square One On Key Obamacare Subsidies – Talking Points Memo
- Health Law Repeal Will Miss Trump’s 100-Day Target Date – The New York Times
- The GOP’s latest repeal effort just collapsed. The reason is simpler than you think. – The Washington Post
- Matt Fuller on Twitter: “You know what, I’m going to go ahead and refute this MacArthur propaganda point by point, because you don’t get to make up your own facts.”
- Ronald Klain on Twitter: “New GOP bill allows insurance co’s to strip families’ benefits under ACA – except for Congress & their families: https://t.co/V6K8AJxV0I”
- Poll: America Hates the Very Idea of Trump Health-Care Plan
- The White House just ratcheted up its threat to destroy Obamacare, a Democratic aide says – The Washington Post
- White House turns up heat on Congress to revise the Affordable Care Act – The Washington Post
- The GOP has a new plan to destroy Obamacare. It’s even crueler than the last one. – The Washington Post